Friday, November 21, 2008

Mark your calendar . . .December 19th, 2008

I received final confirmation this morning, my c-section has been scheduled for 7:30am, December 19th. At my doctors appointment Monday it was recommended that we don't wait past 39 weeks for the delivery of this baby. Delivery of diabetic women can be performed anytime after 38 weeks but generally never past 39 weeks. 39 weeks would be Dec. 27th and since they don't schedule c-sections on the weekend he wanted to schedule Dec. 26th as the date for delivery. I put up a bit of fight since I didn't want to have to celebrate a lifetime of birthday's on the day after Christmas. The recommended date then became Dec. 22nd which meant that I would have to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the hospital. Not really what I wanted to do either. So, the doctor proposed an option to schedule the c-section on Dec. 19th and perform an amniocentesis the day before to make sure the fetus is mature enough for delivery. It's only 1 day before 38 weeks, which is Dec. 20th, but again because of the weekend issue we would have to perform the test in order to ensure the delivery on the 19th would be ok. I'm not that excited about the amnio but do want to put the baby's safe delivery as a priority since the last thing we want is another baby stay in the NICU. Currently he is measuring a little big (80th percentile for growth) so hopefully his lungs will be developed enough for delivery. If the results come back negative then the c-section will be moved to Dec. 22nd or possibly later depending on the test results. It's amazing that so much can occur within 7 days, especially with a major holiday. To add another log to the fire my doctor won't even be in the state during any of these dates, he's off for the Holidays.

After much thought and prayer we decided to move forward with the 19th. So, for now we're preparing and planning on December 19th for the delivery of our new little one. Only 4 weeks to the date . . . getting so close so fast!

2 comments:

Taylor's said...

So fun! I know the amino is no fun . . I have had way too many of those done but remember there is steroid shots you can get for the babies lungs (about 24 to 48 hours before you deliver).

Do you have plans for Lexie? She is always welcome to come here! AND please let me bring you some meals and also please let us watch your daughter!

We are really excited for the addition! Let me know what I can do to help; besides praying for a healthy baby and Mom.

Christian and Karen Robinson said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I had to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital, but Thanksgiving is NOT Christmas. I totally agree with the date thing. (I mean, really I got 3 Thanksgiving dinners out it, I really can't complain!) We hope all goes well!!