Sunday, November 16, 2008

Quick thoughts: Sunday edition

Wow! Time is surely flying by as we near the end of this calendar year and the beginning of our little one's life. We are busily preparing for our new arrival, as well as all of the holiday season's commitments; Stacie worked most of the day yesterday on the baby's room and it looks great! There are still a few things left to be done, but we could realistically bring our baby home now and have a place for him. The crib of death is nearly transformed and we will post some pictures once it is assembled in the nursery. Hooray!

For today's Top 3, I went with a list of quiet, mellow songs (not all of these will be songs, BTW) seeing how I have to work today and it is indeed quiet and mellow here. I grew up listening to Gordon Lightfoot, a Canadian-born singer who plays acoustic guitar and sings about the Great White North, traveling, and ship wrecks, and his music is the perfect soundtrack for one of those days where you sit in your house, watching the snow fall outside. It's not snowing here today, but it still seems just right. Here is Gord's best:

1. Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot Easily my favorite Gordon Lightfoot song. I love how it starts with the strong guitar chords...this is the song that I would want to learn first if I ever took up the guitar. Can't say that I understand how a woman is "lookin' like a queen in a sailor's dream" and for the longest time I didn't know that the chorus said "If I find you've been creepin' 'round my back stair" (Huh?). Must be a Canuck thing; maybe he hides his back bacon and maple syrup in the back stairs.

2. Carefree Highway - Gordon Lightfoot A great road trip song. I can think of several songs in which he mentions "wanderlust", including this one. Maybe he and Mrs. Lightfoot needed their space.

3. GORDAN LIGHTFOOT ~ Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot (How do you misspell Gordon?) Easily the best song about a maritime tragedy, outdistancing "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion and "Rock The Boat" by the Hues Corporation. I have been able to sing this song word for word for many years, now.

Missing the cut:


If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot(awesome song), "Me And Bobby McGee" (allegedly the first recorded version of this song, and a good way to understand what Janis Joplin was wailing about), "Minstrel Of The Dawn", "Ribbon Of Darkness". They all sound similar, but they all sound good!

No comments: