Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pump Trials

Last Thursday I was given an insulin pump, by my endocrinologist office, to see if it will help better manage my diabetes (I've had type 2 diabetes since 2004). I've always been afraid of the word "pump", not really knowing much about what it does or really even how it works. After 2 hours of online tutorials presented by "pump school online" and then an additional 2.5 hours in the endocrinologists office with the medtronic educator I think I have all my initial concerns/questions resolved. Who knew it would take 4.5 hours to learn how to operate a pump correctly.

As it turns out, insulin pumps have been clinically proven to reduce complications in pregnancy for diabetic women. My OB has been asking me for months to switch endocrinologists because he wanted me to give the pump a try, or at least find out more information about it. I finally scheduled an appointment with the new Dr. to make the switch. The N.P. I met with during my initial visit immediately scheduled me for an education session and a trial/loaner pump. Surprisingly it hasn't been as bad as I expected, its been kind of fun to see what abilities/benefits the pump has to offer. Instead of giving myself 4 shots a day I only have to change my pump site every three days. In addition to the pump I have a blood glucose sensor that I insert near the pump site every 6 days. The sensor constantly monitors my glucose levels and allows me and my physicians to see patterns/trends in my glucose levels constantly throughout the day. Prior to the pump I was pricking my finger 6-8 times a day, now I only test 3-4 times a day to calibrate the sensor readings during my trial. Hopefully in the future I'll only have to do 1-2 finger pricks a day. I was so nervous that the two site inserts would be extremely painful but to date I have experienced no pain. I'll agree to trade my two site inserts for all the shots and testing I've done in the past. The pump is actually the same size as a pager/cell phone so it doesn't really cause me much grief to wear. And, surprisingly, the tubing doesn't get in the way as much as I had feared. I really thought I'd feel like I was "tied" to the pump. So, for now, I'll give my pump trial two thumbs up. Now, if only my insurance will approve an insulin pump purchase of my own. More to come later . . .

2 comments:

Josh and Stacie said...

I'm pumped (get it? pumped?) for when we get it all calibrated and it doesn't beep all night long!

I'm just glad that it's working and that you are mastering it. If it keeps you and the baby healthy, then everything else is worth it, for sure!

Taylor's said...

Stacie, I am so glad you love it. Talk to Jeff about his pump; he swears by it as do I! I told you I would divorce him if he was not on a pump - see no divorce meaning he still has his pump!

Which pump are you thinking about getting?

I am SOOO excited for the new pump - who knew - someone could be so excited but you can - believe me we know how much LESS work it is to have a pump and how much MORE comfortable it is to live with one!

And yes, it is looking like I will be in town on Friday so I can watch Lexie if you would like.