Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Video Time!

Back in the good old '80s, I loved all of the music videos that were on the TV. I recorded hours and hours of videos onto videotapes and carefully catalogued them so that I could find a video for anyone who "requested" it. Of course, this involved several minutes of fast forwarding or rewinding the tape in order to queue up the required video.

But now, thanks to blogs and sites like YouTube, I can play veejay with much less trouble. So, I will post music videos or funny clips from time to time. By the way, for those of you who are blog beginners, the music is from the widget on the side that looks like an iPod. You can skip tracks, and more importantly, pause the music if you want to watch a video. With that said, I present "Stomp" by the Brothers Johnson:



I watch this video all the time. It's just a silly song that makes me smile, and when I get to work at 3:00 in the morning, it's often just what the doctor ordered. And the video is a classic. Some thoughts:

1. I wondered what Jackie Chiles did in the early '80s before he started defending Kramer.
And now I know: frontman for a funky dance band.








2. I wish that I could dance like the bass player does at the 2:11 mark of the video and look as cool as he does. Trust me: I've tried it. NOT GOOD TIMES.

3. Speaking of dancing, I am amazed that a band full of smooth singing brothers stuck two white guys at the critical rhythm sections in the band. First the drummer is white, and second, the token "guy who plays background instrument but really just dances" is a white guy as well (see 0:19, 3:03 and 3:23). That's an upset of USA v. USSR 1980 proportions.

4. My favorite part of the video comes at the 3:00 mark when the lead singer says "Well...well...WELL...WELLLLLLL!!!!" Just awesome. No wonder that white guy is grooving.

5. Lastly, (and this comes from many, many viewings) the video cuts off at the end and the last second shows the video picture sliding to the left, accompanied by a sound that makes me think I'm at a hockey game and someone has scored a goal. What is that all about? It literally drives me crazy.

Great stuff..."The beat is on, and the funk just won't leave us alone". Indeed.

1 comment:

Nathan McDuck said...

Now that is a fantastic video.

I really wish there were still a few fun dance music bands around, but they seem to be a thing of the past. Perhaps it was just a more innocent time.

My favorite part starts at the 2:20 mark when the bass player starts slapping the tar out of his axe. That has to be the coolest, funkiest bass-slapping I have ever seen.